Monday, February 8, 2010

LiveLaughLove Tea Towel

I've been preparing cards for Textile Workshop Dublin's Valentine's Craft Night the last few days and I'm become very excited about Valentines! Heart shaped cookies, pink cards..all that lovely carry on.
So I'm going to make something that is fun and functional (and pretty of course) that could be given as a gift, but be used after the event! Valentine's isn't only for couples, this would be a lovely gift for a Mum, sister or lovely friend!
I love bold graphics and I've seen this lovely phrase popping up, so since it's stayed with me I've decided to use it.



Measure out your tea towel (cotton, linen or both) first so you know what measurements you are working with. Decide what height you would like your letters, and what height you would like in the space between each word. Draw the lines out neatly with a ruler so you have a guide before you draw in your letters.
I drew my letters out by hand as I want the design to have a homely feel. You could always print out letters, cut them out and trace around them if you prefer.


Remember not to make your letters too narrow, as this will be more fiddly to cut out and less nice printed color! The area you cut out is going to be the area you print.
Take a piece of acetate that generously fits over your text and tape down first your paper, and then your acetate on top. So it's nice and stable. Using a permanent market trace over your letters.
Take your time and outline your letters neatly. Unlike my wobbly O!



Then using a blade (trusty craft knives are good) cut out the letters.
Do this slowly and carefully, making sure everything is stable and never cut towards your other hand.
I've used a cutting mat, but some cardboard or a chopping board will serve you well also.


Why not keep your cut out letters for future design projects. You'll be so pleased if they come in handy! I taped mine onto my notice board to keep them from getting lost in a drawer.


Now have your workspace all prepared- newspaper laid out, fabric paint mixed,sponge at the ready.(I cut up some sponge that I got from packing boxes).Have a cloth to hand for emergency spills. It's a good idea to always wear an apron when doing any printing and you can have that emergency cloth tucked neatly in the front pocket.
So this is a test run on paper first, if there are any mistakes in the stencil you can correct them before printing on your tea towel.
Now spray spraymount (a wonderful invention) onto the back of your stencil and fix it to your paper. I've used masking tape a swell, but this is a bit OTT of me. Don't forget to stick the middle of the A and O down.
Once you've done your test run wash your stencil carefully but thoroughly, before you print on your fabric. Better to be safe than sorry!



Have your tea towel ironed and laid down on clean newspaper. Don't forget about your A and O!
Now tab your first layer of paint over the stencil. You don't want it applying too thick, as it can leak under the stencil. So keep the amount of paint on the sponge light and tab from above. I would do one layer like this first and then the second layer usually finishes it.



Peel off your stencil carefully and Voila! How satisfying:)
Once it's dried naturally you just need to steam iron it on high for a good five minutes on the front and back to set the print. Now you can wash it in the machine in the future-though I'd wash it on 30 degrees so it can have a nice long life.



Choose a ribbon that compliments or nicely contrasts the color(s) in your tea towel.
Make a loop with ribbon, so that it's easy to hang up, in the centre of the top of the tea towel. Tacking the ends of the ribbon onto the back.




Last step!
Serve up some lovely tea using your charming tea towel and thoroughly enjoy the process:)


1 comment:

marty, sharon and pearl said...

love it! great idea as usual! s x